What is RBM Basic message?
A Basic message is limited to textual content and basic formatting. If you need to send attachments or use more advanced features such as sending multimedia content, use the Single message type.
A Basic message has the following features:
- Number of characters: maximum 160 characters (UTF-8).
- Text content: Basic message is designed for sending text messages between users.
- Text formatting: You can use simple text formatting such as bold, italic, or underline.
- Diacritics: Supports the use of diacritics, which includes special characters and letters with accents.
- Emoji: Supports the use of emoji.
- Sending status: You can see the status of messages sent, such as whether the message has been delivered or read.
- Read Acknowledgement: If enabled, you can see if your message has been read by the recipient.
- No attachments: Basic message does not allow attaching multimedia attachments such as images, videos or audio files.
- This agent generally sends rich messages and seldom expects to receive replies.
Note: Basic message / Single message - The two variants are no different in terms of billing. Even the Basic message agent can send a multimedia Single message and is billed for it. But with Basic message / Single message agents, a conversation is never created. The client may reply, but all messages sent by the agent are billed individually.
What is an RBM Single message?
Single message messages have enhanced features compared to Basic message messages. Here is a summary of its main features:
- Extended content: Single message allows you to send not only text content but also various multimedia attachments such as images, videos, audio files, locations and contact cards.
- Interactivity. For example, you can send confirmation buttons, select options, track order status, or access other interactive elements directly within the message.
- Sidebar: A Single message allows you to open sidebars with additional content or functionality such as calendar, maps, search, and more.
- Send Status: You can see information about the status of a message you sent, such as whether it was delivered or read.
- Support for accents and emoji: A Single message supports diacritics in text, which includes special characters and letters with accents. You can also use emoji to express emotions and other meanings.
- Group chats.
What is an RBM session?
If the recipient of the RBM message replies to the received message within 24 hours, the RBM conversation is charged instead of the price for a Single message. Within a session that lasts a maximum of 24 hours from its start (the mobile subscriber sending the first reply), no prices are charged for additional messages sent within that RBM session. After the maximum session time (24 hours) has expired, another session can be started in the same way.
The maximum number of messages sent within this 24-hour conversation is limited to 100 messages.
Note: Only applies if you select the Conversational billing category when you register an agent.
When you send a message through the RCS channel, you will always be primarily charged for this message as a 24-hour session according to the current pricing. However, if the recipient of this message does not reply within 24 hours (and thus does not start the session), it is re-billed to you as a Single message after this period and the price difference is refunded to your account. The recipient of your message does not pay any fees for replying. They only pay for the data. If he is connected via WI-FI his cost is zero. If he does not have a data connection his reply is not sent.
Determining the billing category of the agent
Operators that approve RBM message content on their networks also bill for delivery of RBM messages to their subscribers using this billing framework:
- Basic Message - Charge for a plain text message of up to 160 UTF-8 characters.
- Single message - Charge for a single message containing rich RBM content (for example, a message containing a rich card or carousel).
- Conversational - Charge for a conversation that consists of multiple A2P and P2A messages in a given time period.
When you create your agent, choose the Billing Category that most closely matches the behavior of your agent logic:
- Basic Message - This agent delivers an SMS upgrade to RBM and rarely expects to receive a reply. Generally, the agent is expected to send plain text messages of up to 160 UTF-8 characters. The agent is not limited and can send richer content if needed, in which case it will be charged accordingly.
- Single Message - This agent typically sends rich messages and rarely expects replies.
- Conversational (24 hour session) - This agent engages in complex interactions with users where messages are exchanged in both directions. This type of agent enables conversations so that when a client replies to a message (within 24 hours), a conversation window opens for 24 hours from the reply and any additional messages within that time window are included in the cost of the conversation (not charged).
Note: Basic message / Single message - The two options are no different in terms of billing. Even the Basic message agent can send a multimedia Single message and is billed accordingly. However, with Basic message / Single message agents, a conversation is never created. The client can reply, but all messages sent by the agent are billed individually.
For more information on agent registration, please see here: https://developers.google.com/business-communications/rcs-business-messaging/guides/build/agents/